Man o’ War

The legendary Man o’ War, informally christened Big
Red by racing fans, was foaled at the Nursery Stud in
Lexington, Kentucky, shortly before midnight on March 29,
His dam was Mahubah, a bay daughter of the English Triple Crown winner Rock Sand. Bred in England, Rock Sand won that country’s most coveted trio of races, the Epsom Derby, the 2,000 Guineas, and the St. Leger Stakes, in 1903, and then made headlines again in 1906 with his $125,000 pricetag when purchased by August Belmont II, who imported him into the United States.
Man o’ War’s sire was the leading sire Fair Play, a golden chestnut sired by Hastings, the infamously bad tempered Belmont Stakes winner of 1896, and out of Fairy Gold. Winner of England’s Woodcote Stakes for two-year-old fillies, Fairy Gold was a daughter of the 1880 Epsom Derby winner Bend Or.
Foaled in 1905, Fair Play was owned and bred by Major August Belmont II, and during his racing career he was trained by Andrew Joyner. He was best known for his rivalry with Colin, to whom Fair Play
finished second in many game efforts, including the 1908 Belmont Stakes. Colin was the last American champion to retire undefeated until Ogden Phipps’ Personal Ensign duplicated the accomplishment in 1988, and Fair Play was the only horse to ever challenge him.
When the two retired to stud, it was Colin who found himself to be overshadowed, for his stud record paled in comparison to that of his old rival. In addition to Man o’ War, Fair Play sired the accomplished horses Display, Mad Play, Chance Shot, Chance Play, Mad Hatter, My Play, Ladkin, Chatterton, Stromboli, Masda, Sands of Pleasure, and countless others, leading the American Sires List in 1920, 1924, and 1927.
Man o’ War was so dubbed by Mrs. Eleanor Robson Belmont, who traditionally named all of her husband’s horses, including Mahubah, whose name is Arabic for ‘good tidings’. Mrs. Belmont originally wanted to call Mahubah’s colt “My Man o’ War” in honor of her husband’s participation in World War I. When she sent the registration to New York, the first word was dropped and he was officially named Man o’ War.
Major Belmont had planned on racing the colt in his own colors, as he usually raced the horses he bred, but in 1918 Belmont decided to sell his yearlings, feeling that his involvement in the war in Europe would prevent him from racing them. Therefore, after an attempt to sell them as a package failed, Man o’ War and the other Nursery Stud youngsters were sent to Saratoga’s sale in August of 1918.
The highest priced yearling at Saratoga that summer was a blaze faced chestnut colt named Golden Broom, purchased by Mrs. Walter M. Jeffords for $15,600. Her cousin, Samuel Doyle Riddle, a textile manufacturer and former rider on the northeastern hunt circuit, paid a moderate $5,000 for Man o’ War.
The reasons for Riddle’s purchase have been greatly debated, with numerous individuals claiming to have influenced the decision. What is known is that trainer Louis Feustel wanted a Fair Play colt, and also admired Man o’ War’s dam, Mahubah, having trained her for Belmont. It was said, probably with at least some truth, that Riddle felt that Man o’ War would surely make an excellent hunter, if he was not a successful racehorse.
It was also said that Sam Riddle liked the way the colt’s coat shone “like gold in the afternoon sunlight,” although this poetic legend seems at odds with claims that Man o’ War was not prepared for the sale as carefully as his stablemates. Belmont had considered holding Man o’ War back from the sale, but had decided that keeping the best colt for himself might make a bad impression on potential buyers.
The actual bid was made by Riddle’s friend Ed Buhler, the uncle of the great artist Richard Stone Reeves. One of the finest painters of thoroughbreds in racing history, Reeves was always awed by the fact that his uncle had bought Man o’ War, and when he was commissioned to paint the great horse, he said, “I had gathered reference material since I was a boy. It was almost as if I had been practicing all my life for that one painting.”
Louis Feustel, who had galloped Hastings, had worked for August Belmont II under Andrew Joyner during Fair Play’s racing career, and had trained Mahubah himself, became Man o’ War’s trainer. Ex-jockey Harry Vitotoe broke him to saddle. Man o’ War proved to have inherited some of Hastings’ fire, and was said to be a very difficult horse to break, fighting every step and repeatedly dumping Harry. As Samuel D. Riddle recalled:
“He fought like a tiger. He screamed with rage, and
fought us so hard that it took several days before
he could be handled with safety.”
While this description was very possibly an exaggeration, it was well known that Man o’ War threw his rider while still at Saratoga, and enjoyed at least fifteen minutes of freedom before he was captured.
The first time Johnny Loftus got on him, Man o’ War threw the jockey about forty feet. But according to his owner, “tossing Johnny was the last bad move Man o’ War ever made,” for once he began galloping with the stable pony, Major Trent, and the other yearlings, Man o’ War quickly became the most highly regarded horse in the barn.
The Riddles and Jeffords shared a training track between their two farms in Maryland, and every year the two stables matched their most promising young horses against each other in order to give them some racing experience before their first season on the track. That year, Man o’ War met Golden Broom in the trials and the high priced Saratoga yearling won the short sprint. Man o’ War, being the bigger horse, had trouble breaking fast enough to beat the smaller, quicker colt, but once the big chestnut learned how to handle his long legs, it was an entirely different story.
On June 6, 1919, Man o’ War began his racing career
with a six length win at Belmont Park. It later seemed
appropriate that the great horse made his first start
there, since the historic track was built by his breeder,
who named it in honor of his father, August Belmont I.
Three days after breaking his maiden the first time out, Man o’ War went on to win the Keene Memorial, beating Colin’s son On Watch by three lengths. He covered the sloppy five and a half furlongs in 1:05 3/5.
Next came the Youthful Stakes at Jamaica. Once again,
On Watch failed to catch him, and Man o’ War was the two
and a half length winner. It was only two days later that
he went to post at Aqueduct in the Hudson Stakes, and
despite an impost of 130 pounds the story was no
different. The big chestnut son of Fair Play won by a
length and a half, and was quite obviously not running his
hardest. In the July 5 Tremont Stakes, also at Aqueduct,
and also under 130 pounds, an extra furlong proved no
challenge. Man o’ War easily beat Ralco by a length.
After a month off, Man o’ War went to post at Saratoga
for the U.S. Hotel Stakes. For the third time he carried
130 pounds. Big Red wired the field, and H.P. Whitney’s
Upset could only get within two lengths of him. Man o’
War’s brilliance in these early juvenile stakes prompted
comparisons to Colin and Sysonby.
Then, on August 13, 1919 Man o’ War met Payne Whitney
Stable’s Upset and his old rival Golden Broom, who had
since won the Saratoga Special, in Saratoga’s Sanford
Memorial Stakes. After a substitute starter sent the
field off while he had his hindquarters to the barrier,
Man o’ War was working to make up lost ground when his
rider, Johnny Loftus, sufferd an error in judgment, going
to the inside, and the champion was boxed in. When he
finally found racing room, it was a moment too late. The
living legend had been upset by Upset, losing by less than
a half length and carrying fifteen pounds more than the
winner, who in the race of his life had covered the six
furlongs in 1:11 1/5. Willie Knapp, who rode Upset,
described the race:
“We’d passed the quarter pole and
were going to the eighth pole, I
guess it was, and I heard
something right behind me and I
knew it was Big Red coming at me
now. I looked back and there he
was. Johnny Loftus was riding like
a crazy man and he yelled at me,
`Move out, Willie! I’m coming
through!’ So I yelled back at him,
`Take off! Take off me, bum, or
I’ll put you through the rail!’
Then I set down to riding and we
Stable employees claimed that Man o’ War had
nightmares for weeks after his only defeat, and he never
lost again. Golden Broom developed a quarter crack, and
was retired for the year after finishing third in the
Sanford Memorial.
Man o’ War got even in the Grand Union Hotel Stakes,
beating Upset by a length with the highly regarded Blazes
third. He also won the Hopeful Stakes by four lengths and
finished the season with a two and a half length victory
over John P. Grier in the Belmont Futurity.
In 1920, Johnny Loftus was denied a renewal of his
jockey’s license, possibly as a result of the controversy
following the Sanford Memorial, and therefore Man o’ War
had a new regular rider in Clarence Kummer.
Man o’ War’s three-year-old career began with a win
over Upset and Wildair in the 1920 Preakness Stakes. To
the great disappointment of racing fans, he had been kept
out of the Kentucky Derby because Samuel Riddle
disapproved of three-year-olds being asked to run a mile
and a quarter so early in May. After setting a new
American record of 1:35 4/5 for the mile in the Withers
Stakes, Big Red took the Belmont Stakes by a stunning
twenty lengths, breaking Sir Barton’s American record in
the process. Man o’ War’s time for the mile and three
eighths was 2:14 1/5.
The next time he ran, Chicago O’Brien expressed his
confidence in Man o’ War’s greatness by betting $100,000
against Tom Shaw’s $1,000 that once again the big chestnut
colt would prevail. “It’s a crazy bet, I don’t mind
giving you a grand, but any horse can fall down,” said
Shaw. Even with an impost of 135 pounds, Man o’ War
to keep his footing and rewarded the faithful
gambler by easily scoring an eight length victory in the
Stuyvesant Handicap. He had successfully given 32 pounds
to runner up Yellow Hand.
After the Stuyvesant, Man o’ War was once again
challenged by a horse from the Payne Whitney Stables, this
time in the form of Whisk Broom II’s son John P. Grier.
The trainer from Payne Whitney, James Rowe, Jr., referred
to Man o’ War as “that red lobster” and refused to believe
that he, or any other horse, was invincible. He had been
aiming John P. Grier at the Dwyer Stakes, and was hoping
to beat the champion again. John P. Grier stayed with Man
o’ War for over a mile, even pulling ahead once, and when
Big Red caught Grier and drew clear to win in record time,
he broke his game opponent’s heart. The pole
where Man o’
War passed Grier was preserved at Aqueduct, called the
“Man o’ War Pole” in honor of the event. Man o’ War’s
time of 1:49 1/5 for the mile and an eighth was a new
American record.
John P. Grier did at least partially recover, and
later beat the champion filly Cleopatra in the Aqueduct
Handicap while giving her sixteen pounds. He also won the
Edgemere and Annapolis Handicaps, and was widely
considered the second best three year old of 1920.
After the Dwyer, Man o’ War won the Miller Stakes by
six lengths and in the Travers Stakes he beat Upset by two
and a half lengths, with John P. Grier third, and covered
the mile and a quarter in 2:01 4/5 without any difficulty,
despite high weight of 129 pounds. The Whitney horses
carried 123 and 115, respectively.
No one dared challenge him in the Lawrence
Realization. Mrs. Jeffords finally agreed to enter a
horse, provided he was not beaten too badly. Samuel
Riddle didn’t consider this a problem, saying:
“We never lifted a jockey to his
back that we didn’t tell to hold
the horse down, so as not to win
by too wide a margin.”
Yet despite his rider’s choking hold, Man o’ War beat
Mrs. Jefford’s colt Hoodwink by more than one hundred
lengths, setting a new world record of 2:40 4/5 for a mile
and five-eighths. He then finished the regular season
with record setting wins in the Jockey Club Gold Cup,
which he won by fifteen lengths in 2:28 4/5, and the
Potomac Handicap. Many horsemen consider the Potomac
Handicap to be Big Red’s greatest race. He carried a
record 138 pounds to set a track record of 1:44 4/5 for
the mile and a sixteenth and beat an all-star field which
included Kentucky Derby and Suburban Handicap winner Paul
Jones as well as the top horses Wildair, Blazes, and
Bonnie Miss. Then, in his final effort, Man o’ War met
1919 Triple Crown winner Sir Barton in an $80,000 match
race run at Canada’s Kenilworth Park in Windsor.
The so-called “Race of the Century,” run on October
12, 1920, was a weight for age event, contested over a
mile and a quarter. Being the older horse, Sir Barton
carried 126 pounds, while Man o’ War carried 120. During
the week leading up to the race, the condition of each
horse was questioned. Louis Feustel worried about a
slight filling in Man o’ War’s tendon while rumors spread
that Sir Barton was training poorly. In response to an
article in Chicago’s Evening Post, Sir Barton’s trainer H.
Guy Bedwell issued the following statement:
“Sir Barton is doing all I have
asked him in his work for the
race. He is ready to run as fast
as he has in the past and I look
for him to render a brilliant
account of himself. I am making no
predictions, but I believe Sir
Barton will not disgrace himself
in the most pretentious effort of
his successful turf career.”
Also responding to the rumors surrounding the race,
Samuel D. Riddle had twenty four hour guards posted around
Man o’ War’s stall. Newspapers had speculated that
gamblers might try to drug or even poison the champion,
and whether the stories had any truth to them or not the
owner wasn’t taking any unnecessary chances.
The day of the big race, J.K.L. Ross, the owner of Sir
Barton, replaced his regular rider, Earl Sande, with Frank
Keogh, explaining that Sande had developed a nervous
stomach, but many speculated that he was taken off the
older champion because he had stated that Man o’ War was
the best horse he had ever ridden after substituting for
Clarence Kummer in the Miller Stakes that summer.
Man o’ War acted up at the start, allowing Sir Barton
to break on top, but the older horse held his lead for
only sixty yards before Man o’ War passed him. As the New
York Times reported:
“He actually galloped the Ross
colt dizzy in the first mile and
drew away so easily in the final
quarter of a mile that he was
never fully extended.”
Despite his lack of effort, he took 6 2/5 seconds off
the track record and beat Sir Barton by seven lengths.
After the race, a story circulated that the stirrup
leathers on Kummer’s saddle had been cut, but the rumor
was never proven.
The Kenilworth Gold Cup was not only the “Race of the
Century,” but it was also the first entire race to be
filmed. Photographer Edward Muybridge, the man who had
taken the first film of a running animal forty years
before, used fourteen cameras to record the event, and the
film was shown on Broadway. Even though the great horse
had outrun the Triple Crown winner, set numerous track
records, and set world records that still stand today, Man
o’ War had never been fully extended, and he was retired
without ever having the opportunity to display his full
Like all horses, the great Man o’ War had his quirks.
His grandsire Hastings, who won the 1896 Belmont Stakes,
was said to be one of the most unmanageable horses in
history, and was famous for biting other horses during
races. Although some of Hasting’s fiery temperament was
passed on to his grandson, Man o’ War refrained from
biting his competition, and he chose to chew his hooves
instead, a habit which baffled those associated with the
legendary horse.
The great turf writer Joe Palmer, of The Blood-Horse,
called him “as near to living flame as horses get,” and
most American horsemen consider him to be the greatest
racehorse in American turf history. When Samuel Riddle
was offered a million dollars for Man o’ War, he answered
that “lots of men have a million dollars, but only one can
own Man o’ War.” Offered a blank check, he again
declined, saying:
“You go to France and bring back
the Tomb of Napoleon. You go to
India and buy the Taj Mahal. Then
I’ll put a price on Man o’ War.”
Every year, thousands of visitors flocked to Faraway
Farm in Kentucky to see the legendary horse and hear his
famous stud groom, Will Harbut, tell stories about the
champion. He always introduced his charge as “the mostest
horse that ever was” and insisted that Man o’ War had
never been beaten. When a guest asked about
the race with
Upset, Will Harbut always replied that since he himself
hadn’t seen it, the story of the 1919 Sanford Memorial
“must have been a lie.”
As a sire, Man o’ War’s success was phenomenal.
Despite the fact that the number, and some said the
quality, of the mares he covered was extremely limited,
Big Red managed to sire such champions as Crusader, whose
wins included the 1926 Belmont Stakes
and two runnings of
the Suburban Handicap; American Flag, winner of the 1925
Belmont Stakes; Clyde Van Dusen, the 1929 Kentucky Derby
winner; Bateau, the filly who won the 1929 Suburban
Handicap, and most famous of all, 1937 Triple Crown winner
War Admiral.
One son, Scapa Flow, soon brought honor to the colors
of Mrs. W.M. Jeffords, the owner of Golden Broom and
Hoodwink, by earning the 1926 Juvenile Championship. His
wins that season had included the Futurity Stakes. The
Jeffords also raced Bateau, Mars, Edith Cavell, and a number of other stakes
winners by Man o’ War.
Blockade, winner of three editions of the Maryland
Hunt Cup, and Battleship, winner of the 1938 Grand
National at Aintree, proved that the Man o’ Wars could
jump as well as they could run. Apparently Samuel
Riddle’s first evaluation of Man o’ War, the potential
hunter, was correct. Big Red’s offspring not only jumped
well on the steeplechase course, but also with some style,
as evidenced by the titles won by Holystone in the show
Man o’ War passed away on November 1, 1947 after
suffering a heart attack. More than two thousand people
attended the funeral, which was broadcast by radio. The
great stallion was the first horse to be embalmed, and is
now buried at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.
Man o’ War’s Race Record